I was selected for the Far Eastern Division Team in Okinawa in 1965 and all set to go back stateside for the Marine Corps Matches, Interservice Matches and Camp Perry, when the Far Eastern participation was cancelled, leaving me, George Van Orden and Dave Willis, all of us 1st LTs at the time, and the other team members high and dry. I ended up in Danang on the III MAF staff and spent my days riding around in a Mighty Mite toting a Thompson M1A1 (not issue). After I left active duty, I was on the All Reserve team for a while, and afterwards competed as a civilian.

Legged out in 1983, the 499th civilian to go Distinguished. Gave up competitive shooting 8 years ago, when my osteoarthritis prevented me from getting into position. I'll be 78 in February. Ended up a Master in Smallbore Position, Smallbore Prone and High Power. Never made it to High Master in High Power.

The closest I came to sniper duty was when the Reserve Team served as marksmanship instructors for the Reserve Sniper School

Last edited by xausa; 07/01/16 01:40 PM.