Well, as long as the thread is still winding on and I love to have Ideal conversations...

Here's another La Manu mystery: it is generally agreed that barrels could languish for years before being fitted to receivers and completed. This would then explain the serial number on the barrels reflecting an earlier date than the production of the completed gun (though I believe the serial number on the gun, (in my observations "upside down" on the standing breech) matched the barrels.

But when did the barrels receive their serial number? I have purchased two sets of barrels in the white, "finished" except for fitting to the gun. Only the finished bore size is stamped on the barrels. Were they then only numbered when they went in for proof? Here are pics of the numberless barrels:

So I brought the set on the left in from France to fit to the No. 5 recently acquired, but it seems they are from the 1930's, or at the very least, later than the 1925 No. 5, and won't work. They are however identical to the 314, and if I had deep pockets they could be fitted to the 314 and thus would be born a 16 Ideal with three sets of barrels. Or I could exhibit some uncommon sense and have the originals opened up to make them more useful.

So many barrels, so few Ideals.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility