A traditional chowder is dairy based. I call my version a chowder but it doesnt have a dairy base. I use water or vegetable broth. I suppose its a stew, but chowder sounds more maritime. I start off by covering the bottom of a Dutch oven or kettle (big pot) with olive oil. I add a couple of chopped garlic gloves and two chopped onions and saut until translucent. I add a pound of diced potatoes and a couple of pounds of diced fish, boneless and skinless. Supermarket tilapia or salmon is perfect. Cover with enough water or broth and bring to a roll. Cut down to a simmer and cover the pot with a top. I simmer for a couple of hours. I have also added a several bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. I also added fresh thyme during the simmer. I strip it off from thyme twigs. Its tedious to do, but worth it. How much thyme? I buy it in packs from my local supermarket and use about a dozen or more twigs. It doesnt overpower, but makes a difference. Like most stews or chowders, it is better the next day. I usually get at least three meals for two from what I cook. Grated parmesan cheese or equivalent is a good topping before serving. Add a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce to your bowl. This is a wintertime treat, but breaks the monotony of summer meals as well. Onions, garlic, fish and potatoes are the necessaries. I have substituted pulverized zukes from a blender for potatoes which thickens the mix and works well. This is a one pot meal for those who hate to clutter a kitchen sink with pots and pans and prep time is minimal.