Unfortunately I must agree with KY's thesis and others that the next generation is moving away from old SXS guns.

Demographics,driven by falling bird populations save turkey and geese, and the push to non toxic will eventually devalue the market more.

I think the high end stuff will still be high end, but field grade stuff is doomed.

Indicators like the number of field grade guns making ot out of Europe is an indicator of what is coming to take plaace here.

I hate to but it is coming anyway.

As for the initial question on investing in guns, I have seen few people really make money on guns. 100% of them did it on the purchase price. If you don't get a good, very good, deal up front when the cost of your capital is considered you simply don't make money.

I look upon my gun dealing as rentals, the loss on each gun was rent to hold it awhile.

I believe Run with the Fox is right in his Curtis reference that guns are tools. I try to buy the most satisfying ones that I can. I do not use the level of common sense he does as I am a 16 gauge nut and all my double rifles are in archaic cartridges (then again I could not have afforded them if they were not).

Sense long ago told me I needed one good shotgun, likely a 12 ga O/U with ckoke tubes and it could do everything. It is true today, except desire puts far more than that in the safe.

Last edited by old colonel; 08/14/16 09:40 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS