Opening day seafood buffet lunch:

Forty inches of flood water at the Suwannee house courtesy of Hurricane Hermine:

The storm left a real mess in the yard at the Mouth of the Suwannee:

Hurricane Hermine hit the Gulf of Mexico coast Thursday night and the passed over my home in GA at about 3:00 a.m. that next morning. I got out of bed as the storm raged and walked through the house in the dark to see whether we were sharing our home with any big Pine trees. As always I was again amazed by the raw power of nature!

Good luck was we had no damage at home other than a few minor limbs down in the yard. Power was back on when we woke up Friday morning.

My fishing shack on the Gulf of Mexico took the full force of a Cat. 1 Hurricane though. The house is fine, but we had forty inches of flood water inside, and a real mess in the yard and in the water around the boathouses.

On the other hand, dove season opened Saturday with cool weather and overcast. The wind had not blown our birds away and we shot limits all around over sunflowers.

I said the heck with storm damage and spent the weekend with some friends at a Camp in Dodge County on the Ocmulgee River. We have spent Labor Day weekend there together for thirty years that I've been going but the tradition goes back way farther than that.

We had another great shoot Sunday afternoon again on sunflowers. Nothing short of South America beats an opening weekend dove shoot over a sunflower field!

Other than the shooting, we spent the rest of the long weekend fishing the ponds on the place and me, looking for arrowheads in the food plots and cotton fields.

The Camp is situated on a bluff over the river on a 'blue hole spring'. It must have been a perfect place for an Indian town or seasonal camping area for thousands of years. I've found points from the Clovis era down to Contact period and all in between on the sites along that bluff.

Another great beginning of the hunting season. This life and one more; Lord I do love it!...Geo