Originally Posted By: mel5141
Stan,
Sounds like a great Teal trip on Historic Duck waters.
Interesting comment on doubles choked alike for Doves and Ducks, my choices as well.....

Doves are the topic of the thread and we are covered up with them on the Southern Rolling Plains. Returned from a shooting competition on Sunday and the last 20+ miles to the ranch Doves covered every wire and field.Storm front over the weekend sent me all the birds that the Panhandle members had been shooting since the opener.

Got in a fast shoot right behind the house ,grabbed a 30" F&F 20 bore and had a quick limit on the ground. Walked back to the house to get a dog for the pic up chores.From start to finish was not more than 40 minutes, and I was back in the den, with gun wiped down and melting ice cubes in a proper "sundowner"

I'm out the door here in 15 minutes to shoot a field south of the headquarters. Birds in there yesterday morning in numbers reminiscent of Mexico, not Argentina by any means, but flights of 10-20 pouring over the field for 35 minutes.
It has been a great season since the opener , but this is really the perfect mix, Big mature strong fliers, and enough of them to work on any shooting weakness.

Thanks for the comments. Knowing of your considerable experience with wingshooting doves, etc., it is reassuring to know that someone has the same ideas about chokes for them.

Sounds like you are beginning another awesome bird season. I don't have doves in the numbers you do, but I certainly am blessed. When we finish combining peanuts here, about the end of October, we will start seeing the bigger northern doves come through. Interesting that you shoot doves alone often, as I do. Group shoots are much fun, when you've got the right kind of guys, but there is a lot of satisfaction for me in taking a limit alone, with my retriever to pick them up. I think you understand that.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.