My 97 was orig a Mod choke but the bbl was seriously bent when I bought it. So I cut it to 26" and it's now a cyl/26" which was the 'Brush Gun' configuration once offered.

No reason any 97 can't be used for ducks with the right ammunition. Would the duck know any difference?
They are plenty strong with the milled/machined carrier lockup to the bolt. Some small internal changes between thru the years but eccentially all the same.
The TD is the same as the M12 as is the adj take up system. The solid frames are a bit more elusive on the market than the TD's.

The butt stocks attach w/a thru bolt like the M12. There is a tapered attachment section screwed to the rear of the frame that the thru bolt screws to. That taper can cause the wood to split if the fit becomes loose and the stock is then over tightened in attempts to bring everything together. MAny of the older ones have a cracked butt stock on the side(s).
Like the M12, the drop can be adj somewhat by bending that attachment section and then re-inletting the butt stock face to the frame.

The ejector somewhat frail and screwed to the outside left side of the frame. It's 90* angle points inside the frame and raceway and kicks the shell out of the gun,,but not with a lot of authority as stated.
The ejector spring as they call it can break it's point off inside and you'll get no ejection at all. But looking at the gun it'll appear that the ejector is still in place as the rest of it is still in place on the outside secured by that small screw. Check inside with the bolt to the rear.
Replacements (repros) are pretty easy to come by now as the popularity of the guns have increased a lot due to cowboy shooting. Inexpensive too compared to years back when only original parts were around.

Shell stops wear like any pump or auto, as do extractors.
The firing pin has a block in it that freezes it when the bolt is unlocked, but can be defeated due to wear. Any old(er) gun should be gone over well to check condition before use.
Half cock safety is the only safety. Slide release button on the side of the frame.