All my 4 12 gauge L.C. Smiths (2E, Ideal LONGRANGE ejector, Specialty ejector, and Eagle ejector (all with DT except the Specialty, which has the HOT) have the half moon clips on the barrel ribs, my 2 12 gauge OO and OOE grade Smiths do NOT- also, I loaned my Houchins book to a friend who is getting started in Smiths, so I can't be sure, but I thought he detailed that. However, the factory was run by people, and they make mistakes. I also let my friend "borrow" Another 12 Smith- and 1945 era Ideal 12 with the $5.00 extra raised solid single sighting plane rib (FWE with DT) and that does NOT have the half moon witness notches, as does my 1928 era Ideal LONGRANGE-- This is the Only 12 gauge Smith I own that is on the FW series frame and with 26" barrels- great grouse gun--I also have two pre-1900 graded Smiths with Damascus barrels, DT and rotary joint camming extractor design, and neither of those "oldies and goodies" have the half moon notches- so, quien sabes, ey compadre, quien sabes?? El Zorro..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..