Just thought I would update this thread now that I know what is going to happen.

Was able to spend some time last night with another member (and phenomenal gunsmith) CJO and had him review the recently acquired 25" barrels and the Ideal we were hoping to fit them to.

Claudio's assessment is that any deficiencies with the barrels were fixable, the lumps and hook were well placed and measurements for those parts and most of the others were typically larger for the new barrels than the originals, making fitting possible with some careful grinding.

However, there is one insurmountable problem.....the external diameter of the 25" barrels is significantly smaller than the originals. No real, aesthetically pleasing way to fit them to the larger receiver.

Claudio's best solution consisted of welding on some kind of band around the breech end that would expand the external barrel diameter, making an accurate fit between barrels and receiver possible. UGLY!

I think these barrels will get leaned up in the corner of the safe as a ready supply of ejector parts or for if and when I ever pick up another 12 gauge Ideal.

Thanks Claudio, for taking a look last night. I appreciate your willingness to share your hard won knowledge. And as always, very enjoyable to spend a bit of time with you. And when you get home tonight....go to work on assembling that German gun! Too nice to spend 10 years in pieces! laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia