Well, Ready or Not, it happened, on the Calendar at least.

Today is the designated Texas Quail Season Opening.....
Don't recall a Warmer , Non Fall ever...... 89*F today and it must have pushed 95*F+ in South Texas.

It has been so warm I have not even had one exercise session with my Bird Dogs yet.

This a BIG State and a one size fits all opening really does not work.

That said, I am on a Quail lease for the first time in 13 years, even though I have a record Quail population here on my Home Ranch.,

I took the spot on this 20,000 + ac. lease because I know the place and area, and it is less than an Hour away from my Home.

The place probably has a RECORD number of Both Blue and Bobwhites on the property. Even higher than last seasons unbelievable numbers.

I went over to drive the property (sans dogs , first time in years for that, but the SNAKE problem is all TOO real in this climate)

I have a young Air Force Major I'm very fond of (Cindy's Oldest) that has a rare break from deployments as an F 16 Squadron Leader, coming to the Ranch next week to open the Deer season and try the quail on for Three days.

I won't be able to provide traditional Bobwhite shooting over dogs but we will employ the West Texas run and gun shooting for Bobs and Blues on the lease property.

I opened the season over there today while scouting it out, and sighted my first covey five minutes after driving onto the ranch at 8:20 am and stayed in Birds continually on the roads finishing a 15 Bird limit at 9:15. 8 Bobs, and 7 Blues....

What a BIRD Population....