Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Bro. Steve remains on a possibly Quixotic quest for the "Lopin Rosetta Stone", without which we can't really KNOW how the incredibly creative and artistic damascus patterns were obtained. He's been in contact with Continental knife makers, and found this from Manfred Sachse's Alles über Damaszener Stahl, 1993. Unfortunately, the source of the examples is uncertain, though likely Delcour-Dupont.

Top, left to right: 1. Rampant Lion; 2. Chain; 3. Boston, a symmetric large scroll 2 iron Crolle; 4. ? Bernard.
Bottom, left to right: 1. Star, American Flag, or Etoile'; 2. A higher grade Damas Crolle, probably 3 or 4 iron; 3. Washington; 4. Obviously similar lopin to Boston, but probably used for 2 Iron Oxford which was asymmetric.

These are hanging on the wall at the Curtis Museum in Leige. There is no more info about them. I spoke with the curator about this piece on display. He only knew that it has been on the wall for years. I am sure any other info has been carted away and locked up.

I would be very careful about sharing / displaying this photo. The folks at the Curtis are very protective. I have been dealing with them for years and they still treat me like a thief in the night. They occasionally grace my email with ranting emails in French over some small item or another.

Pete