These small lathes are pedalled by most of the small companies dealing in machine tools. They are nearly all made by Seig in China. If you look carefully the differences between the same model is nearly always the paint job an perhaps the addition of a chuck shield or handles. I bought one second hand some 10 years ago with some tooling for about $150.00. Mine was in Metric specs but a change of gear wheels and a replacement Imperial lead screw soon had it working in inches. Spares are available although if no one has the item in stock it may take 6 months to come in by sea from China, they (the Chinese) don't do it any other way. Most parts are interchangeable, when I've needed any spare parts and my usual supplier doesn't have stock I simply go to another supplier using a different Brand Name and his parts invariably fit. The Little Machine Shop carries a lot of spares and accessories for these little lathes including quick change tool holders, a handy set to have. LMS has a website. Google it and have a look around. Yes there is backlash in even new machines but there are procedures for getting around it. I've had no problems making small parts, pins, machine thread screws, parts for rifle sights ad many other items. It's not a massive financial outlay and it will pay for itself eventually.

Good luck,

Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.