Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I haven't noticed them getting any cheaper, Larry, especially when they approach the condition of this BSA. A lot of the 700s I've seen don't look as nice as this one, either.
We have guys here who wouldn't clean the metal shavings out of a model 21 action if they thought they were original, who will tell you to alter a high condition Brit gun and who should do it for you.
The spreader load is the simplest, cheapest, and easiest solution to whatever the "problem" with this gun might be.
Really, I'd use it for at least a year before I did anything to the chokes. Maybe two years. Once you get out of the forrest, and onto the plains, that is a sweet choke combination. Not a horrible sporting clays combination, but, you will have to do your part.

Best,
Ted

Well Ted, you've hit on one significant difference between THIS particular BSA and a W&S 700: There are enough of the latter out there that you will find them in various conditions. Meanwhile, you don't see nearly as many BSA's period, and most of the ones you see are the very basic ones. In the case of Webley & Scott, the 700 is the basic model.

There are only two reasons not to alter choke: 1. You like them the way they are. 2. The gun is so rare and valuable that altering choke will significantly impact the value. This gun meets the "rare" part . . . but not the "valuable" part. Sure, it's a high grade BSA . . . but it's still a BSA. And the problem with a Brit gun and tight chokes is that, in order to get the most out of a tight choke, you need to use a relatively heavy load. At least 1 1/4 oz. And there aren't many 1 1/4 oz loads out there you'd want to put through a Brit gun, unless it's maybe a heavy wildfowl gun. So I'd say assess your shooting needs and alter that full choke however you want. I had a pair of Army & Navy 12's with one gun that was choked 005/015, which was pretty much perfect for my needs. The other one was .005/.040. I patterned the L barrel at 35 yards, and decided that unless I wanted to shoot turkeys with it, that choke had no use for my purposes. So I had it opened to .025, and used it as my late season pheasant gun. It could still do the job at 40 yards (which is a rare long shot for me on roosters) with my low pressure 1 1/8 oz reloads.

Larry,
Some people consider themselves caretakers of guns that are no longer available. You don't have to like it, but, they wouldn't think to alter a gun that was produced for a discipline that is outside their own use.
There are more than two reasons not to alter a gun.
This particular gun, with that engraving style, practically screams AA Brown at me, NOT BSA. I may be wrong, but, I'd be willing to bet it was finished by a shop known for better work. So, it may not be just a BSA after the dust settles.
I stand by what I said, earlier-that gun is a better example than what we normally see on this side of the pond, and is in better condition. 2 3/4" with ejectors is the icing on the frosting. I wouldn't be bothered with the guy who paid for the gun doing as he pleased, but, I wouldn't do it. I could make it work, right here in MN. just as it is.
I'm in good company with Mr. Snyder, it would seem.
I wouldn't screw with it. I wouldn't hunt grouse or woodcock with it, either, but, it is a fine pheasant, or prairie grouse gun just the way it is. I'd be willing to bet that 1 1/8th oz of 5s out of that left barrel would be wonderful for any ditch parrots betwixt 35-45 yards I hunt in December.

Best,
Ted