Der Ami
I spent most of my working carrier with machine tools especially lathes from CNC's capstan's to Boley watchmakers miniatures. But my decision was made on what lathe I would want to own in my retirement. A one and a half ton Boxford would be nice to own but my workshop is a little small for that sort of thing plus the delivery cost would be a little high. Also it would be problematical for the lady I live with when I go to that large engineering works in the sky to dispose of it. I also mentioned that my other interest is clock making and large lathes make that rather difficult indeed because their inaccuracy tolerance can be larger than the part you are making. The perfect lathe is available but that will depend how deep your pockets are but there comes the point where the higher the purchase price then in steps the law of diminishing returns do you need all those bells and whistles? I gave my reasons why I purchased the 9x20 but I did leave out that my model 9x20's is fitted with a Norton screw cutting gear box is it possible that you can find fault with this very useful addition for the price. Oh undertaking barrel work in the UK as a private individual is rather a tricky business and not looked kindly on here by the powers that be. To use a colloquial English term "plod would be quickly round to feel your collar and you feet wouldn't touch the floor till the cell door slammed behind you". On your side of the pond can do any engineering work to a fire arm with impunity, that is not the case here we have proof laws to contend with. Correct me if I am wrong I thought this posting was what people thought about the grizzly G8688 7x12 lathe and I gave my opinion and recommended the 7x20 for the reasons given. And finally If I wanted access to a larger lathe I would visit a friends engineering works on a Sunday and help my self.
And just to make things clear what is your opinion and reasons for it on the Grizzly 7x12 lathe because as far as I can see you seem to be on a points scoring mission on yours truly, So just stick to answering the question asked. Because as far as using a lathe and any other production machine tooling is concerned "I've been there done that and have the 'T' shirt, well having 50 years in production engineering does teach you a thing or six.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!