Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Again, Ted . . . no shortage of W&S 700's--certainly more common than other guns from the post-1954 "tons" era--proofed at 3 1/4 tons. They'll handle 1 1/4 oz, although most people will stick with lighter loads, even when hunting--because of the relatively light weight of most Brit guns. The Brits built more "game guns" than they did waterfowlers or pigeon guns. And in their driven shooting game--assuming you're talking typical driven shooting and not the ultra-high birds--you don't even need 1 1/8 oz.

And yes, the BSA is a "higher grade" than your typical BSA. But it's still a BSA. My Webley & Scott Model 400 is the same model with which Percy Stanbury won many shoots in the UK . . . except mine is the much fancier Grade 1, with lovely full coverage small scroll, deeply chiseled fences, etc. And very nice wood. But it's still a Webley & Scott, an unusually nice one no doubt (built on the "screw grip" action) . . . but that won't make it into a Purdey.

Larry,
There are 9 model 700s in 12 gauge for sale on guns international, as of right now. There are 3 on Gun Broker. Contrast that with 24 Darnes on GI, and 5 on GB.
You calling Darnes "Common" by the way?
That isn't exactly a bunch, or plenty, Larry, for the English gun. While I can't speak for sure on the 700s, almost every, single, one of the Darnes listed on either sight has significant, expensive, or, both, problems that need to be dealt with. Certainly, you can attest to that, no? We can assume a few of the 700s would have similar issues, I'd bet.
Further, I'm not positive that all 700s had the long chamber, either. Did the home market 700s typically get proofed at 2 3/4"? Bet at least some of the guns we see here came from old Blighty as used guns.
There is a problem with simply paying more for a gun because of the name that is on the rib. Doing that, you will miss guns like this one, which, give up little in quality, and certainly nothing in cost.
The OP certainly has a great gun, at slim money.
Interesting that Boothroyd puts the end of production for BSA guns a long time before those proof marks were hammered into the gun's flats.

Best,
Ted