Today is also the last day of dove season in GA until September. I knew of a sunflower field that I felt was probably holding birds because of the unseasonably warm weather here (doves can't survive on sunflower seeds during hard cold, and move heavily into peanut and corn fields). I had about talked myself out of going this afternoon, but I have a young Lab, Cady, that wouldn't get to work any doves until September, so I loaded her up and went. Just me in a 24 acre sunflower field, but I put my Mojo dove up high on the pole Gil gave me and sat down. I timed it perfectly, and in one hour had a limit, Cady retrieving every one to me.

Don't think too hard of me for taking a 12 gauge. blush I normally shoot sub gauges for doves, but the BSS is my go to duck gun and we have two more weeks of duck hunting left. I just wanted to "keep my hand in" with it.

One dove is out of the pic to the right ....... hey, I never claimed to be a photographer. laugh I cannot tell you how many years it has been since I killed a limit of doves on the last afternoon of the season, and in one hour. I'm so glad I resisted temptation to sit home, and loaded up and went. Next dove season is a loooong time away. Today will make it easier to bear.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/15/17 08:58 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.