Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Stan,
I think that premounting a gun obviates the need for best shotgun fit. But competing in FITASC sporting clays or wild bird hunting convinces me a well fit gun fit really helps a lot. What I don't understand is how it ever came about to have premounted guns in any shotgun competition. It takes away such a nice portion of the skills required to be the best shooter.

Absolutely not. You might want to consider the tens of thousands of $ in a pigeon shoot purse if you are interested on knowing the why of it happening.

just a thot

Dr.WtS

I have to disagree, Jerry. I would say that having a shotgun that fits is every bit as important for premounting as it is for low gun. There is SO much more involved in fitting to shoot to point of aim than length of pull.

That said, and I may start a fire, but paid for gunfitting is not something I would ever suggest to anyone who is willing to do the work themselves. It ain't magic, all it takes is the means to shoot lots of patterns you can look at quickly. I've posted this before, but when I started sporting clays seriously I began to fit the gun to me, to shoot to proper point of impact. I didn't care what the measurements were, I just wanted it to give me a perfect 60-40 print. I built up the comb, kept lengthening the pull, and I achieved what I thought was a perfect fit, then shot the crap out of it. About a year later some friends invited me to a fitting session, so I went, mostly out of curiosity. What resulted was that not one measurement I received after shooting the try gun for over a half hour was over 1/8" off my measurements on my gun at home. Some were exact. I actually believe anyone with a modicum of sense can make any gun shoot to the point of impact they want, within reason, by themselves. and maybe even more accurately than by a fitter because you can take much more time with it, over days and weeks.

I'll save my thoughts about why remounting is disliked by many for another day. Thanks for the comments, Jerry.

Whats going' on here, Wonk? Deja vu, all over again. smile

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.