Even Iowa has trout. Brook Trout are indigenous to the Upper Iowa River watershed in the very northeast corner of the state. The area is called the Paleozoic plateau, where the glaciers missed and left bluffs and cold water springs. It's also the area that still holds limited numbers of grouse. I'm lucky to live just south of the area, with the nearest trout stream only about 15 minutes away. The fishery is mostly stocked trout from three hatcheries, but the Iowa DNR has been successful in having a few streams where the trout are reproducing naturally. I envy you guys living in areas with large numbers of trout. I was in heaven when I lived in California, and had the whole Sierra Nevada to fish.

Believe it or not, the largest trout I ever caught in Iowa was on a mulberry. I spotted a five pound brood trout feeding on them as they dropped from a tree, I stuck one on a salmon egg hook on a 5X tippet and brought him in on the fly rod..

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/25/17 07:06 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.