I've fiddled with 12 gauge loads for years, but never loaded anything except a factory duplication skeet load in 20. My reasoning was that 7/8 oz. was little enough shot, and I wanted all the lead in the air I could get there.

Well, I've grown up.

A friend has been shooting 3/4 oz. for quite a while with no ill effect on his scores so I tried it.

What a pleasant surprise. The initial idea was to tame down a light weight SxS, but even in a 7 3/4 lb. "Panzerkampfwagen M-K20" the difference is remarkable and can only result in better shooting. The only concession I made was moving to a little more choke at 5-stand.

I settled on 12.2 gr. of International, a CB-1075, W209, and 3/4 oz of Lawrence Mag in a AA hull. It runs a pretty consistent 1150 fps over my chrono with the muzzle at one foot in front of the unit. They cost $3.75/box to load, not including the hull of course. That's moving the 'cartridge bill' as the Brits say in the right direction.

The 3/4 ounce 20 gauge wads are brilliant product, and I'm betting a factory 3/4 ounce load would sell and we may see one. The caveat is that this load will not work a recoil auto, and might not set some inertia triggers. That might be what's holding back the commercial load.

It's just a good thing for these 'square' loads and one pellet breaks I guess. Can of worms reopened!

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble