Gentlemen,

Although I've dropped out of the forum, as a matter of courtesy I'm tying up this loose end.

On my advice the lady sent some pics and a request for valuation to Holts in the UK and they gave the following ....

Quote:
Your pair of pocket or travelling pistols were made by Theo. Richards in London around 1775. There do not appear to be any hallmarks on the silver butt-caps that would enable more accurate dating, although the caps are almost certainly the work of Charles Frith. The proofmarks are what are known as ‘private proofs’, quite common at this time and often mistaken for later Birmingham marks. You are correct in assuming that they have been converted to percussion from flintlock, but actually they are ‘boxlock turn-off’ pistols as opposed to ‘Queen Anne’ types. True ‘Queen Anne’ pistols have side hammers and exposed frizzen springs.

Unfortunately, even though it is part of history and was very common practise, the conversion to percussion does effect the value. In an English auction as they stand I would expect an estimate of Ł500-800, with a realised price of around Ł650-700. In fairness to you, this sort of price should be readily achievable in the U.S. as well.

They have just sold at auction in the States for a little over the equivalent of Ł750.

Thanks,

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 05/14/17 06:05 AM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint