Originally Posted By: Ken61
....All this appears to have been common on higher grade tubes, I suspect it was one of the differentiations between higher and lower grades....

....A while back there was a Wilkes-Barre thread with a set or "Very Fine" tubes I restored with this feature. I'm currently coloring a WB "Extra-Fine" set, their highest available quality. We'll have to see if they show the same feature.

Regards
Ken

Only wondering. Is it being considered a higher or fine grade based on color difference, or better materials/methods. If it's better materials and methods, I'd think the barrel maker would use only best materials on highest quality barrels.

Is the darker or lighter colored material being considered extra fine? While they appear to be generally twisted in the same direction, I believe the same material twisted in opposite directions can appear a different darkness than each other.

There does not seem to have been much attention paid to selecting and working matching materials in those barrels. What characteristics of the tubes alone would make them be considered higher grade or extra fine? Only asking to learn.