Craig,

I'd say the quality standard was due to degree of variation.
The more varied the pattern, the higher the quality. This can include many factors, from number of irons, to size and shape of scrolls, to varying the types of steel within the irons. All can be varied while maintaining the production standards required for the barrels to pass proof.

Remember, we're talking about an artisan industry capable of creating virtually any type pattern, including actual words/names. This is why I'm of the opinion such variations were completely intentional, and used to denote quality.

It's a huge difference when you put a Parker barrel like the one in the pic next to say, a set from a Remington Model 1900 KED or a LC Grade 0.

As for Parker's, it's interesting to note that Grade 2 guns usually have very nice tubes, but the patterns on each tube vary widely, often not matching very well. Possibly this was a detriment when they were made, but now the variation of the tubes make them that more interesting.

You also have to remember that tastes were much more eclectic during the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 06/12/17 04:28 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.