Originally Posted By: Ken61
....The band is visible, but once etched and finished it will look similar to the Parker pic....

....a humble Batavia Leader, a gun not really known for elaborate tube patterns. You can see it's actually more complex, it's a matter of the process being able to bring out the features....

To me at quick glance, I see differences. In the original Parker picture, the dark coloring is clumped towards the right hand side. That's what made me think composition, of a rod or three, and there are signs in the finished picture that different rods were used to make the ribbands.

In the first of the latest pictures, I'd try to look closer, but I think I would be seeing ribband weld connection areas. I think to arrive at the final barrel, those surfaces would have been exposed to the most heat cycles at forge welding temps in the open air before they were finally welded and were worked the most.

In the final Batavia barrel, I'd want to take a closer look, but it doesn't look more elaborate. I think the features appear larger because the construction was simpler, less layers. I'm probably wrong, but I don't see a ribband type construction, maybe just single rod wrap. I think this type of barrel is the opposite direction of 'fine' or 'extra fine', maybe cost saving but certainly bolder appearing on finishing.

Only opinion, thanks for the interesting topic, your thoughts and the pics.