Didn't want to clutter the Ithaca Damascus thread. I think we've discussed this before, but couldn't find it.

Miller:
"What I believe it was referring to, & this is somewhat borne out in Lefever Arms Co catalogs via their recommendation of wads. Black Powder was quite often loaded into brass shells, hence bores were often oversize for the larger diameter wads.
Shells loaded with Smokeless were generally loaded in paper cases which used regular sized wads. I believe what Ithaca, Lefever & others were saying was they were now boring their barrels much closer to nominal size for use with the paper shells loaded with smokeless powders, but they were still suitable for use with Black."

What we know:
1. The American “E.C.” & “Schultze” Powder Company was established in Oakland, New Jersey in 1890. DuPont Bulk was introduced shortly thereafter; certainly by 1893.
2. Alfred Nobel's “Ballistite” Dense Smokeless was introduced in 1887, patented in 1888, then “Sporting Ballistite” (for shotgun shells) was patented in 1889, but not released to the trade by Nobel’s Explosive Co. until 1895. Laflin & Rand introduced “Infallible” Dense Smokeless powder in 1900.
3. Loaded Smokeless powder shotshells were first listed by Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in the 1891 catalog. Winchester began supplying them to “selected shooters” in 1893 and to the public in 1894.
4. By 1895, most U.S. Live Bird and Inanimate Target competitors had switched to DuPont, “E.C.”, or “Schultze” Bulk Smokeless.
5. This 1895 Chas. Godfrey, N.Y. ad (courtesy of Dave Noreen via Tom Archer) is interesting:
"All L.C. Smith guns are guaranteed to shoot any nitro powder made."
"All guns bored true to gauge to use wads same size of gauge of gun."

This would suggest that (at least for a time and before the marketing dept. got involved wink ) Miller is correct.
From the Hunter Arms move to Fulton in 1890, 12g guns were bored with the standard .729". Bro. David might comment on the Syracuse bores.

In the 1902 Sears catalog "Bored for Nitro Powder"

6. Ithaca started similar verbiage in 1897

Crass model in Recreation Magazine - "Bored For Black And Nitro Powders"

Still using it in the 1917 Janney, Semple, Hill & Co., Minneapolis catalog listing