Steve's quote:

"My reply about the coloring difference being a mix of different steels, was more intended to provide a reason for the colors, rather than an opinion on whether the difference was purposeful or not. I doubt that we can be assured of knowing the answer to the question of purposeful or accidental, unless contemporary writings about it can be found. That it is accidental is highly plausible though, I believe. I expect that the rolling mills had bins full of patterned rods. That a few rods may have remained in inventory for extended periods of time is possible. Then when finally sent to a barrel welder, it was delivered along with rods that were made later with steel of different alloy content. Too, I can envision stacks of rods in the corner of the barrel welders shop; with the same mixing of rods possible."

As to the issue of intentionality of the feature, I'll reiterate that the feature is consistent throughout the tubes. I'd say in order to create the regularity of the effect throughout all Ribbands, the same steel layers in the same position in the iron lopin would have to match, then that specific composition rod would have to placed in the same order within each Ribband. To me, only that would enable the feature to "match up" throughout all Ribbands along the length of the tubes. I have to set up my proper camera gear in order to get some better pics, I've just been too busy.

The perception of scroll vs. star is a fascinating subject, as I'm one who initially sees scrolls. I also see stars, but only when I intentionally look at them. Consequentionally, my QC standards are based upon the clarity of the tiny scroll welds, which are the smallest feature of the pattern. They usually take many, many cycles to bring out, especially if they're of a more angular shape like Horseshoe. Often, just one Ribband section will have angular crolle, and then it is the clarity of that specific Ribband that determines when the pattern is completely "filled".

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 06/21/17 07:22 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.