Chuck;
What you say is of course correct. "However" comparing a magnum rifle with a shotgun is somewhat akin to comparing apples with oranges.
I do feel this bit of "Felt Recoil" has been much overplayed. For instance for many many years Hercules RedDot was the primary powder for loading the 3-1 1/8 skeet/trap loads @ 1200 Fps. Along in the early 90's I believe it was they introduced a new powder which was very slightly slower than RedDot but faster than GreenDot. Much Ado was made over how this "Slower" powder would reduce the "Felt" recoil. If both powders were loaded to give identical velocities there was less than a grains weight difference in the powder charge. I truly doubt that 1 person in a Thousand could actually "Feel" a difference in the recoil which of course would have had identical recoil energy. There does have to be some amount of difference for us mere humans to detect. Pressure curves for all [powders suitable for loading shot shells are quite close together. One could quite possibly "Feel" a difference between say RedDot & BlueDot, but these two powders are not suitable for loading the same shot weights to the same balilstics.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra