Other than reading the fine posts, discussions, and threads on this forum in regards to Belgian double manufacturers, I have been trying looking for other locations to glean as much information as I can on this country's gunmakers. I have also attempted to use littlegun.be as a resource, but it is sometimes challenging to find good information on that site.

You not find any website that carries all that info. It is too massive. That has been my experience anyways. I know there is a lot of debate in regards to the Belgian makers. Some generalize and say they are all dangerous junk and yet others cite specific makers as fine artisans and craftsman. So, in an attempt to source additional information I have a few specific questions.

You will not like my answer.... Learn to read French, most of the info is in French and never gets mention here. Sure, we play with a couple of dozen names. But there were 100's. Even most Belgians can not begin a broad discussion. No one teaches this.

1. Is there any good books out there to help me identify the various makers and give me a general idea of their relative quality in build? I'm looking for something in English preferably. There are, but they are all in French...
2. I've previously read that Belgians made prior to 1924 should be avoided. Is this a fact? I know most guns should be evaluated based on their individual merits, but lets say in general terms, are Belgian guns made after 1924 safer? How was the general Belgian build in say the 40s, 50s, and 60s?

That old bug-a-boo is about damascus. I shoot damascus guns on a regular basis, as many here.[/color]
[color:#993399]

3. This is a longshot, but would anyone know of a source for some Belgian parts? I'm currently looking for what appears to be the standard Belgian A&D-type push button forend for a 16 gauge field gun I have. I'm also looking for a butt stock for an FN Anson gun in 12. I considered buying some parts guns from Simpsons and attempting to fit the parts myself, but perhaps this is a fools errand.

I hope no one takes my questions as offensive. There's a lot of good information, as well as a lot of opinion based disinformation on the internet and I would like to have a reputable reference to lean upon when making gun buying decisions. My interests are not just in best gun makers, but also the more affordable field guns. Thanks for any help you can offer. Again, I have been reading this forum for years and there is a wealth of knowledge here.

[color:#993300]You asking the right questions in the right forum. Keep seeking and you will gain the knowledge you seek.

Pete

Last edited by PeteM; 07/26/17 11:50 AM.