Originally Posted By: pamtnman

OH, You will like this story. The rifle is the original estate gun. The estate was, at its height, 76,000 acres. The family had it from the early 1880s until the 1930s. The gun was last there in 1902, according to the family's game logs, which I photographed, so it has been 115 years since the gun took anything there. My wife and I visited the estate last summer, and now I am going back just to try and take a red stag with the old gun. The lead-up should be coming out in the DGJ this Fall and Winter, and perhaps a follow-up will be done after the October hunt, if I am fortunate enough to take a deer. I have been practicing a lot and getting 6-8 inch groups at 110 yards, though when I shoot carefully off of a rest the gun groups much better than that. By the time I leave in October, I should be proficient at 135 yards. Photos hopefully!

you are right - i do like the story - what a great chance to do a memorable hunt.

i will really look forward to reading about this- if you have stalked this is old news- you'll know many shots are taken prone or sitting from some type of rest- and over a 100 yards on many estates is a long shot- not because of terrain - but because the challenge is to get close - it is after all- stalking