Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
Okay guys, give me a chance and I'll try and explain the project.

I have wanted to re make the Lefever shotgun but better than the original. To this end, I have arranged to have Steve Earle machine the action & ejector forend. Another friend of Antonio Zolli will be checking with him in the next few days re. 20 ga. bbl's.--- 28 ga. will be available if there is a demand and will be fitted to clients gun on return of same. The idea is to have the bbl action made here using Italian made bbl's.

The action will be made of the best steels available and the machining will be of a level not seen one any American gun ever made --- period ! Our own Doug Mann and Glenn Fewless have seen and handles actions made by Steve Earle and can testify to their high quality. Steve will duplicate the action and improve it by tightening up the tolerances as well as using different steels that are best for their intended purposes. IE -- D2 steel will be used for the sears, hammer and triggers. 8620 will be used for the frame, forearm, trigger guard and top break lever. Steve never sends any of his action or any of their parts for normal heat treating, rather, he sends them to a specialty heat treat shop for best possible quality.

My idea is to offer this bbl action in a way that it will be a bespoken gun. The idea is to eliminate the middle man in order to make the project more affordable. A client would pay Steve directly for the action, another man for the bbl and fitting charges. At the same time he would order either 26" or 28 " bbl and indicate the choke desired. On receiving metal, the new owner could personally select/furnish his wood to stocker with desired dimensions for completion of stock as well as deciding on checkering pattern, finish and type of recoil pad, skeleton butt plate & etc. On completion of these steps, the metal can be sent out for engraving if desired as well as type finish required.

All these steps can be paid for on their completion and time between various steps can be allowed to fit clients budget ( saving a little money for following step).

This is just a rough outline of my proposal and I fully admit to be lacking in this arena. To this end I would appreciate any thought, replies, suggestions or rejections. If there is a lawyer who would like to contribute a few minutes of his time for a few questions, please advise via my email (kenhurst@suddenlink.net). We could certainly use some advice and would appreciate gearing from you.

Okay guys, as Frazier said " I'm listening." Ken

I did not care one wit who did/does what, I loved the idea that a fellow could pick what he wanted done and what he wanted left undone. I wish that had not got lost during all the shuffle.

There are a number of people that don't want a hanger queen, but want a user that fits in more ways than one. Who will ever offer a package like that?

Yes I want to be my own fitter, yes I want to be the guy that sends my gun back to Ken for engraving. Yes I'm the guy that wants total control over every aspect of the finish.

Maybe some day somebody gets the message and will offer that kind of package deal. Just my two cents, and I do not mean to rain on yours or anybody else's parade