Originally Posted By: eeb
I dont accept the premise regarding longer barrels and perceived lead. Where is this written?

It may or may not have been "written" somewhere, but I've been around many excellent sporting clays shooters and some hellacious dove shots over the last 50+ years, and it is a perception among many of the better shooters that this is so.

I won't sit here and say that I can tell the difference between the lead on a 30" barrel and a 32", I can't. But, I have shot clays with a 36" barreled Valmet O/U (they were sold as waterfowlers), and there sure is a difference, to me, between what I must see to break the bird with it and with a similar 26" barreled gun. Don't disparage the notion until you have tried vastly different lengths yourself .............. 10" of barrel length makes a difference. BTW, the 36" Valmet is a ribless wonder of a gun. It handles beautifully for all it's cumbersome length. Absolutely amazing, I'd love for Don to spin one. The barrels are very lightweight for their length.

Maybe it's impossible to quantify this with physics, like so much of the rest of the mental side of shotgunning. Perception can be reality ........... if you believe it affects your shooting it probably will.

This will probably drive Wonko bonkers. crazy

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.