There have been a few discussions on this subject lately and generally I have been in the camp that there will likely always be a sub-set that enjoys a classic SxS but that it usually takes some number of years and some level of disposable income for that appreciation to manifest itself. And thus while there will always be some market value fluctuations, the overall market is unlikely to catastrophically collapse and stay that way. But I saw something over the last couple days that has me re-thinking that.

I was back at a high end private hunting preserve on a 2900 acre island for the first time in about 10 years (my how time flies!). I had been a regular guest from the very early 1990's to the mid 2000's. The members are typically 40-60 years of age and financially very successful, mostly as a result of enterprise, not inheritance. There are typically about 80 members and no more than 20 guns are accommodated at any one time. Every member could easily afford and shoot several best guns if they so desired. When I was there over the last couple days there were 8 guns being provided for by a minimum of 20 staff members.

When I first started to go, the gun room, which typically would have 60 - 80 of the members guns (and current guests) was at least 2/3 filled by SxS sidelocks, many of them best guns. This week, beside the 2 guns I brought, I found one other SxS, a nice Webley and Scott boxlock.

The vast majority were O/U B guns with Beretta dominating. Guns that in Canada retail for between $2000 and $4000. There were also a few semis.

I think what I'm seeing is a change over of membership as the older set, that dominated the membership when I first went in the 1990's, have grown too old to hunt, and their place has been taken by younger men, brought up hunting over the last 20 years to just automatically choose a O/U.

For the very first time, the guns I brought were probably the most finely made guns on the island.

Any thoughts re: the market.

BTW, despite the temps being brutal for tough slogging through still green and growing, chin high cover for pheasants, the shooting was spectacular for preserve birds. Too many to count and it was way more fun getting getting my eye in that way than going to the range! No dog could work longer than 20 min.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia