Originally Posted By: Stan
That pic is an excellent analogy that demonstrates what I meant, Drew. Thanks. And that also is the written explanation I was seeking.

Charles, I am a two-eyed shooter and I most definitely see the gun when I shoot at anything moving/flying. I also see lead, every time. I do not think of it in terms of feet, or inches, but my brain has stored up thousands of mental pictures of that gap that exists between the bead, which is in my subconscious vision, and the bird I just killed. It remembers those distances, or gaps, and when it sees the same presentation again it tells the muscles where to put the bead in relation to the bird. To make a couple of points clear, I never look at the muzzle or bead, and the bead is not essential for good shooting, but in absence of a bead there needs to be something at the muzzle for reference, if only a rib.

I do believe the brain learns to use the apparent width of the muzzle as a reference to lead, especially when, for some reason or another, it is harder to determine distance to a bird by triangulation, which is how I understand that the brain determines distance. That is why it is so hard for a one-eyed shooter to dominate sporting clays or FITASC, distances vary so greatly, which in turn so greatly affects lead.

SRH

Good for you! I can't say that you're unique but you certainly are not like anyone else that I know of. I for one certainly envy your ability. I'd be curious to see where you miss as recorded by a shot cam compared to where you think you miss. Mr. Winston did a great study of people calling misses, shooters and observers alike. They were all mostly wrong.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription