Originally Posted By: keith
I guess the hardest thing for me to understand whenever we have one of these Gun Rights discussions is the idea that any man would willingly and knowingly negotiate or give up his rights and freedoms. The very idea of giving up a little bit here or there is absolutely ignorant, irresponsible, and borne of cowardice and fear.

I say this because there is ample evidence that giving up on any of our Gun Rights only leads to the anti-gunners coming back for more and more. When dealing with people like that, RIGIDITY is the only logical path. To read the posts by you Brittany Man, one would think that the only thing they're (the Anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats) really coming after is the bump stocks that neither you or I own. Nothing could be further from the truth. As noted, bump stocks could be regulated by the ATF without any legislation. Blaming Republicans and gun owners for that is just grandstanding. Perhaps the biggest prize they want once again is their so-called Universal Background Checks... even though this shooter sailed through literally dozens of them. This is because Universal Background Checks are nothing more than the National Gun Registry that will make confiscation of entire classes of arms much easier.

And yes, they are calling for absolute bans on large cap mags and semi-automatics too. That may seem reasonable to you too Brittany Man... until they come back later for handguns, pumps, and then your precious doubles. I know you think it won't ever happen, but in many circles, they are already openly calling for repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Perhaps you think that a few concessions now will keep them at bay at least for your lifetime. That is just so selfish and cowardly, knowing that you are helping them on the path to take it all away from generations to come.

What else did they 'want' in '34?
Pistols and revolvers. They will never stop.

Quote:
After the initial hearing on H.R. 9066, a modified version of the NFA was proposed in June of 1934, H.B. 9741. This is the bill that was ultimately passed and enacted as the National Firearms Act. Representative Robert Lee Doughton, a Democrat from North Carolina, introduced this bill. It passed the House and Senate and was signed into law by President Roosevelt all in the same month. It was, as suggested in the final hearing by Rep. Doughton, a law that was supposed to no longer put the citizenry at the “mercy of the gangsters, racketeers, and professional criminals.”

The initial NFA bill, H.R. 9066, defined “firearm” as “a pistol, revolver, shotgun having a barrel less than 16 inches in length, or any other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, a muffler or silencer therefor, or a machine gun.”

Clearly, H.R. 9066’s focus on pistols and revolvers was nothing new to Congress. But to date, the prior bills had failed. The NRA and other opponents to the bill ultimately relented by accepting the tax on and registration of firearms, if pistols and revolvers were removed from the bill’s mandates. The compromised, restrictive NFA that gun owners live with today does very little, if anything, to deter crime, fails miserably as a revenue raiser, and costs Americans millions of dollars annually to implement.

http://www.recoilweb.com/origins-of-the-nfa-128767.html

Mike