I know when I go into a gun store, weather it be used, or new guns, if it's a gun I'm interested in I ask to see it, check out the gun, look at the price tag, and until recently either hand it back with a thinks, or buy the gun, I never asked if there was a better price than what was listed. I have no idea how many guns I walked away from, but could have walked away with had I asked, on that same token I know I have gotten taken because my wants were greater than my common sense.

To the OP when I ask (now) what is the best price I expect an answer not a question!

The problem with "make me an offer" is if you low ball the guy he is going to take offence, and if you don't you may take it in the shorts.

Recently I bought a Beretta 686 silver pigeon 20 ga, as I looked at the gun I noticed a scratch on the pistol grip, something that should not be there on an $1800 gun, I pointed it out and put the gun away, talked with the clerk for a few minutes, and it occurred to me to ask about price and scratch, turns out that scratch saved me $170.00, which speaks a little toward that very low profit margin on guns, just the other day I bought a new Franchi Highlander, I am sure it sat in the store for years considering they stopped making them years ago, as I was filling out the paperwork and looking at the gun I noticed bumps, and scratches on the stock, again something that should not be on a new gun, that one saved me $80.00, so from now on I will at least try on the price, and not just take the listed price at gospel.

TM

Edited to add: SO I guess I'm the guy who goes up to the gun counter, talks with clerk, looks at guns and puts them back, not because I don't want to buy a gun, not because I want to waist the clerks time, but because the price listed is greater than I am willing to spend on said gun, perhaps those clerks wasting their precious time talking with wannabes could ask something like "what will it take for you to take that little beauty home with you?"...just sayin.

Last edited by TMair; 11/19/17 12:37 PM.