Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted By: Hoof
I thought the pheasant stamp would limit the number of other hunters I saw and result in more bird contact for me, I was wrong on both accounts.

You sure got that right. I hate to use this terminology, but I do seem to see less "slob hunter trash" in the fields. You know...the guys who get on a line 10 men deep and when a single bird gets up they all empty their magazine (and the bird still manages to fly off usually).

While I partly agree with the need for the pheasant tag due to very low populations, I am not in full agreement with the part about the line of so-called "slob hunter trash" on a line of 10 men deep...

I believe that a couple hunters with good dogs can do a much more efficient job of cleaning out bird populations to near extinction than a line of hunters who don't shoot well ever could. I personally know guys who simply could not restrain themselves from returning to the same farms over and over, shooting every bird they could, including the hens (or breeders) until the areas were shot out. They then repeated the process on other farms, and then actually bragged about feeding freezer burned birds to the dogs because they shot more than they wished to eat. The same guys were whining about the lack of native birds, and being reduced to hunting stocked birds, on over-hunted State Game Lands just a few years later.

Recovery of pheasant populations in Pennsylvania will likely never happen until the Game Commission can admit making the mistake of allowing the harvesting of hens, and until predator populations are brought in check.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.