==================================================================================================
1847 - JC Reilly and the "7000" series

Terry, 8025 is the earliest "Reilly" (not JC Reilly) found after their move to New Oxford street and calls into question my theory that EM started renumbering 8400...unless this is a JC Reilly in plain "Reilly" livery. Amazing. What is your opinion? When did waisted bullets come out? Might this be a J.C. Reilly? (I'm starting to lean towards this - He seemed to have concentrated on percussion guns after he got to New Oxford Street.). Would love to see pictures.

edit: Preliminary research shows that one of the first experimental 2 groove rifles was used in Ceylon in 1845. This would seem to put Reilly's adoption of the system after 1847 move to New Oxford street possibly indicating 8025 is a J.C. Reilly in the "7900 series".

https://www.classicshooting.com/blogs/re...the-paradox-gun

Excerpt: "The earliest in the field of progress was the old-established firm of Purdey and Co. Mr. Purdey, before the general introduction of breechloaders, brought out an Express rifle, No. 70 bore, with a mechanically fitting two-groove solid bullet. This small projectile was a well-pointed cone weighing exactly 200 grains, with a powder charge of 110 grains, more than half the weight of the bullet. The extremely high velocity of this rifle expanded the pure soft lead upon impact with the skin and muscles of a red deer. At the same time there was no loss of substance in the metal, as the bullet, although much disfigured, remained intact, and continued its course of penetration, causing great havoc by its increased surface. Nothing has surpassed this rifle in velocity, although so many improvements have taken place since the introduction of breechloaders, but in the days of muzzle-loaders it was a satisfaction to myself that I was the first to commence the heavy charge of powder with the 3 ounce bullet and 16 drams, to be followed after many years by so high an authority as Mr. Purdey with a 200 grain bullet and 110 grains of powder, thus verifying the principle of my earliest experience."

edit 2: Terry Buffum said that 8025 has the feel of an EM Reilly. He said JC's stocks tended to be straight grained and somewhat dull. EM used more interesting maple (and a lot of French maple later on). I still am not yet ready to abandon the 8400 mark for EM on the move to New Oxford Street. It's possible that EM stocked 8025 while JC made it.

Still, I feel a little like I'm trying to squeeze facts into a pre-constructed theory based on 8463 and that "Removed from Holborn" label. We'll continue to gather data. and I have a feeling a lot of it is still in Terry Buffum's safes.

Any info turn up on the other two of your guns of historical interest Terry, 1869 and 3402? Address on ribs? Pictures?

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 12:34 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch