Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas I cook prime rib, not turkey, for my son and I as well as some portion of our extended family, usually my sister and her kids and anyone else on the eastern side of the country.

I use the 500 degree high heat for 4.5 to 5 min per pound depending on how done I want it and I have never had better results. I dry and salt the exterior, as has been mentioned. I make sure it's at room temp. I make sure no one goes near the oven to ensure the door doesn't get opened. The roast I get is very nicely seared on the outside with a perfectly even medium rare finish all the way across the inside. Zero grey meat near the crust.

The one thing I would say about this method is it's best for prime ribs that are in the 4 to 9 pound range. If they are bigger, the timing is a bit off and I haven't worked out the adjustment.

And when the roast comes out, in goes the Yorkshire pudding. I'm the opposite of Franc. My mom used to do them in muffin tins, but after going to an English style boarding school (my headmaster was the Marquis of Ely and would sit in the House of Lords when in England) where the Yorkshire was done in a pan, I switched my allegiance and have never looked back.

I typically do two pans of Yorkshire.....one to serve my family and one that I fight over with one of my nephews after dinner. Best dessert ever!

Last edited by canvasback; 12/23/17 01:38 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia