Yesterday afternoon a close friend and I hunted his quail property. We had five pointers, with two on the ground at the time. A warm (low 70s) afternoon, we didn't head out to the fields until about three o'clock. The dogs would stay on the ground hunting for about 45 minutes per pair, watered twice during that time, then swapped out. This property has had flight trained quail released in August each of the last five years. Many are surviving and rearing young, resulting in coveys that are as near true wild birds as any can be, other than property where none have ever been released. They fly like crazy, often not holding for the point and flushing before the guns can get within range. By 5:45 we had pointed and flushed nine coveys, a couple of which flushed "wild" and we didn't get a shot, including the sundown covey, which was huge.

Owner and I came in with 17. He was shooting his O/U 20, and me my Dickinson .410 with the "new" WW 3/4 oz. loads, which worked wonderfully. This was my first time to use the Dickinson on quail, and I was very pleased. First covey rise I doubled, a right and a left. Then later, killed two with one shot, quite by accident, but both recovered. Wonderful birds in the fields, and wonderful birds on the table.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.