Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted By: sandlapper
Brent, Everybody has their opinion on this subject, but I have found that the old LL Bean Maine hunting shoe with 16" tops work best for me thru the type of country you refer to. They are light, keep the water out when walking thru sloughs, and are easily and cheaply rebuilt by Bean anytime. I had a guide in South Dakota who wore them,also, and he was out walking miles and miles every day with them. Just a thought. Sandlapper

Sandlapper,

I've always been drawn to those boots, but my fear is that they would not offer enough traction in the steep slippery grouse thickets I hunt. Could you offer any information about their traction abilities (snow, ice, mud, wet leaves, hills, swamps, etc)?

Slicker than snot is the appropriate term for the LL Bean boot w/the traditional chain tread sole & the version with the Vibram lug sole is too heavy for me. Minimal support in either version but they do keep your feet dry in most conditions.

I hear good reports about the LL Bean Technical Upland boot from a friend who puts a lot on miles on every fall in typical grouse & woodcock cover.

(I note from the LL Bean website that they no longer offer the vibram lugged version of the standard Bean hunting boot but they do offer that sole in a pac boot w/ felt liners. I've pretty much written the LL Bean hunting boot off forever so it has been a long time since I looked what styles are available)

Last edited by Brittany Man; 12/27/17 11:32 AM.