Well done Calgary Bill,
I am rather particular with using the term 'Best Gun', but you have one there in your S3 EELL. From an outsider living in Australia, it seems to me that early Beretta sidelocks and to a lesser extent modern high grade Berettas are somewhat under-rated in the US.
I have an S2 made in 1967 and have read lots of information on the 'S' series Berettas. The S series sidelocks came before the SO's and the lock design was changed during the S series.
I found the following on another website and saved it as a screenshot, but I'll type it below for you...

"The S1 became the SO4 and then the SO5.
The S2 became the SO2 and then the SO6.
The S3 became the SO3 and then the SO9.
The S1 was unadorned and the SO4 and SO5 have minimal engraving. The S3 and SO3 had more elaborate engraving. In addition the final series was more highly graded again, using the letters EL, EEL and EELL. Hence, the second grade S3 would be the S3EL and the top grade S3 would be the S3EELL.
Advantages of S/SO's are: very shallow (58mm) frame; excellent steel; excellent balance and handling, depending on the specimen; comparative cheapness; lower grades as well finished mechanically as the expensive ones; view over the wide fences is as close to a side by side as is possible to find in an u/o.
The trick to buying them is the barrel weight. The weight is usually stamped on the barrels and I've found the good handling in 12 gauge cuts out above 1.4kg. Around 1.34 - 1.36kg is better. The S2 and SO2 game guns, with 28" barrels, around 6lb 4oz, handle like a dream. Midweight (7lb) ones are also very desirable.
I think they are rather underrated, and not just for appearance."

Oh, I'd love to see a photo of your new S3 Bill.

Last edited by Aussie; 12/28/17 02:04 AM.