Thanks for all the info Aussie.
Agreed that the S/SO series are under rated in North America. My S3EELL has incredible workmanship.
My gun has two sets of barrels---the 28" bbls weigh 1.49 kg and the 30" bbls are 1.475---the weight of the gun is within an ounce with either set of barrels. The gun weighs 8 lbs and I suspect it was intended as a trap gun but it has seen little use in its 50+ year life.
Each set of barrels have Briley choke tubes which suits me fine.
Engraving is by S Tononcelli and is of the floral scroll type.
In due course I'll have my smith take the locks off and see what beholds inside.
I normally take my pics outside in the shade but today it is -30 which precludes that idea. I'll try some indoor lighting and see what happens.
I've looked at about half a dozen S3EELL on the net and the engraving patterns are similar but not identical. It seems each engraver was allowed some freedom to express his skills. In contrast, Browning Midas grade engraving is remarkably similar from gun to gun.
I found one EELL that was case coloured but the others are not case coloured---not sure what finish Beretta use but it certainly enhances the engraving and doesn't fade with time.