Originally Posted By: mel5141
They represent one of the MOST durable sidelock designs ever produced.....I know of individual pieces still in use in Europe with 100,000 plus Heavy pigeon loads thru them that have scarcely ever had a screw turned on them except routine maintenance.....They are,by design, very "renewable" engineered with the idea of being easily tightened or brought back to factory specs , but only after LOTS of shots....

Among the most reliable of all single trigger designs (particularly the non selective type) ever put into wide spread use...

Enjoy it, you have acquired a truly FINE gun....

I would agree on all points. There IS a slight weakness though (or at least a perceived weakness) in that the stocks are a bit weak in the wrist area. I have an S06 30" 12 bore 'field' model - and have owned it from new (20+ years) and it has had a lot of use - and walked many miles in Scottish weather. It has stood up well, though the woodwork has a few signs of use. It is largely 'retired' now as I find as I age I prefer a lighter gun (it is heavy). A number of people have advised me to be gentle closing it as stock breakage with rough handling seems to be the one weak area. If I had my time again I would buy another, but 28" with straight hand stock and double triggers. When I bought mine, that would have been special order, whereas I could have a 'stock' gun at a generous discount, but little discount on a special order.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 12/28/17 01:09 PM.