Thanks Kutter.
Good point on making sure that the position of the main spring doesn't change. The lock screw on the other 20ga lockplate is a headless screw. I switched out the buggered up one with one from my 12ga sideplate. The round head screw you see is another reason I thought that maybe this spring is a replacement. Also, it wasn't providing any hold down of the spring. I also looked at the thicker spring in response to your question about binding. It turn out that the portion under the bridle is the same height as the smaller spring.

Curious about your comment that the 20ga spring looks like a replacement. Are you referring to the left lockplate in the second pic? If so, that's the one that I think may have come off of a 12ga as a replacement. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that.

Got to thinking about the comment about fit and finish not always being the best. I would guess it's possible that on a lower level gun being cranked out for Sears, they didn't spend a lot of time. As long as it works, make things fit and get it out the door.

Kirk

Last edited by kirkp; 12/29/17 07:16 PM. Reason: formatting