No problems with the altitude. So far north and the Snake empties into the Columbia, etc., so it's relatively low. Actually, the hunt was fantastic. Called a "Cast and Blast" by Mountain River Outffitters" out of Riggins, Idaho. First class operation all the way. We floated the river in inflatables each day, dressed in our hunting gear with shotguns handy. Handed spin rods we would cast to the rocky bank with plastic worms and caught an incredible number of smallmouth bass. All the time we would be watching the cliffs for birds and listening. When we spotted a covey we would beach the boat and hop out. Then the short hunt began. Frequently straight up, climbing over basalt rock, slipping on tall grass, and trying to not look down at the tumbling river far below. Invariably we only got to shoot the covey rise because when flushed they would fly over the wide river into Oregon. One bird I remember was high overhead when I dropped him over the river. I was already a couple hundred feet above the water and it fell for what seemed like a minute before splashing down. Fortunately another Zodiac was floating below and picked the unfortunate critter out of the water.

Now as I said, this was a classy operation and we had two camp tenders, a man and woman, who had a much larger Zodiac full of gear. Each morning after we'd pull off of our overnight camp spot they would load up everything and soon pass us heading downstream to set up the next evenings camp on a sandbar. When we would arrive they were waiting for us with evening cocktails, hors d'oeuves, and a roaring camp fire. We felt as though we were being treated to the best of an Afriican safari.

Hells Canyon is a spectacular place. The Snake River is huge and deep. It is remote and with very little sign of modern intrusion though there are old trails everywhere Chinese coolies made back during the gold rush period. The trip is worth every penny just to experience a wild river.

Oh, at night we would set out massive ocean rods with bells attached trying for Sturgeon. Part of a bass would be put on a huge hook and then rowed out into the middle of the river and dropped. To get the bait down through the fast water they tied on a large oldtime window weight weighing a couple pounds. Down it would go 200 or so feet to the bottom. Massive and ancient fish. When the bell on the tip of the rod would ring all hands would turn out in whatever they were sleeping in--if anything--and run to the water's edge. If a fish was on a mighty battle began. Sometimes these giants are well over ten feet in length and have different ideas than the fisherman. Catch and release only.

I have been twice and would do it again in a heartbeat, even at my 76 years!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)