I mentioned this gun in the unknown SN XXXX post on Page 4. It's a Single barrel, 4 bore, percussion rifle so I think I'lll do it again. No Serial Number but as a muzzle loader with two groove rifling and with E.M Reilly, London in the rib - it has to be post 1858 and probably pre 1862.
-- First it has two groove rifling, something Terry Buffum raised earlier and we looked into a bit on his 8025 JC Reilly (page 8). Two groove rifling seems to have originated experimentally around 1845 and may have been popularized by Purdy in the early 1850 (need more research).
-- Second there may be an Indian connection to the Nizam of Hyderabad which is always of interest to me. - I've posted the story below (unclear whether the Nizam owned the Reilly).
-- and third - it's a 4 bore.
-- What's interesting is the barrels have a Birmingham Black Powder proof mark. That in itself is unusual and it doesn't have a SN..that's odd...so did he market the gun rather than make it? - if so he wouldn't have put a number on it.

E. M. REILLY FOUR BORE BELTED BALL PERCUSSION RIFLE.
SN NSN. Cal. 4 bore. (1.015 bore diameter, 1.120 groove diameter. Two groove). 26″ Tapered octagon twist bbl is mounted with one standing leaf rear, and “certifiable antique elephant ivory” blade front sight. Top flat is engraved “E. M. Reilly & Co. London”. Bottom flat is stamped with Birmingham black powder proof. Case hardened patent breech is engraved with large open scroll. Case hardened breech iron with integral fence is engraved with large shaded scroll. Large bar action lockplate is mounted with tall, round bodied, slightly serpentine hammer. Hammer and lockplate are engraved with more large open scroll. “E. M. Reilly & Co” is on front portion of plate. Trigger plate is mounted with germanic type double set triggers, and trigger must be set before lock can be cocked. Trigger guard with squared bow has shell finial, and is also scroll engraved. Full length stock with swan-necked butt, is of indeterminate tropical wood, and measures 14-7/8″ over blued steel buttplate. Stock features large germanic style swept shadow line left hand cheekpiece. A hand forged ramrod is held by single plain pipe. Drop at heel: approx 3″, drop at comb: approx 2-1/8″. Weight: 16 lbs. 6 oz. LOP: 14-7/8″. PROVENANCE: Invoice and correspondence regarding purchase and import of this rifle. Special Note: This item contains or is made of ivory. Do not bid on this lot unless you have read and agreed to our "Ivory Position Statement" and the "Waiver of Legal and Financial Risk to James D. Julia in regards to your Purchase of an Ivory Object." This information is located in the front section of our catalog. CONDITION: Fine, as rebuilt and refinished. Metal parts retain nearly all of sympathetic refinish. What appears to be old restock is completely refinished, with large repair pegged onto toe and 1-1/2″ crack at left rear of breech iron. Bore is good, shootable, with considerable pitting. Lock is crisp. Set trigger works. An interesting big bore rifle showing what is most probably South African restocking. 49958-37 MGM62 IVORY (4,000-7,000)

Here is the story:

http://revivaler.com/four-bore-rifle-two/

Last edited by Argo44; 05/16/18 12:37 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch