===================================================================================================================================
1903-11 SMLE Enfield. (Lee Speed - sporterized version)

In 1879 the British Army began experimenting with magazine fed bolt-action rifles. This led to the adoption of the Lee-Medford in 1888 chambered for .303. It had problems especially with its single stack magazine. In 1892-5 this was fixed with the adoption of the Lee-Enfield aka “Long Lee”. I have one from Afghanistan. Lee-Medford continued in service for years. In 1907 or thereabouts the famous SMLE Enfield .303 was born, used by the British army and the empire for 50 years in both World Wars and by tribesmen from Yemen to Baluchistan.” (the history of the Lee-Medford/Enfields is so extensive that I'll let the experts talk further about it).

You don’t think of Reilly making a magazine fed high-powered modern rifle, Yet here it is. (The labels after 1898 did advertise "magazine rifles" - see trade label posts below). A sporterized SMLE Enfield - i.e. a Lee Speed... E.M.Reilly & Co., .375 X 2.5" nitro express. Patented tang safety. Full length file cut rib. Express and ladder sights. Scroll engraved on wrist strap action and trigger guard. Scope mounts fixed in past. Barrel address reads E.M. REILLY & CO. 295 OXFORD STREET LONDON. (i.e 1903-1911)

The .375 Nitro Express 2˝ inch Velopex , was a nitrocellulose (smokeless) powder cartridge introduced in 1899. A hunting cartridge produced for single-shot and double rifles, the .375 Flanged NE is a slightly longer version of the .303 British necked out to .375 caliber.

And Lee-Speeds were being sold by Reilly before the Enfield became the SMLE...these had to be Long Lees?

03 June 1893, "Volunteer Services Gazette"

By the way, did other prominent London gun makers maker similar guns?

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 12:45 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch