Ohio in the mid 50 to early 60 traded ruff grouse for Missouri wild turkeys To gain a huntable population in the early 60s. Ohio use to have a lottery of 1500 tags for the states , my farther killed 1 of 3 birds taken in ohio first seasons. Which the skin of his bird can be seen at the OhioState university wildlife study department. I guess back in the 70s and early 80 not a lot of turkey hunters as my father and I always drew a tag prior to unlimited availability of turkey tags.

Our, quail population went from a ton of birds to pretty much no birds our kill off of quail was due to back to back blizzard with heavy ice, which caused the birds to starve to death. I remember walking through the fields after the snow melt and finding lots of dead quail which to me seemed to be almost everywhere.

The grouse population from 20 years to now are "No grouse" Division of Wildlife states habitats, which in my opinion is BS. I think west Nile and other diseases have decimated our wild bird population.

I was hunting turkeys in Hazard KY a couple of years ago, and quail were all over the place. I almost forgot what they sounded like. They filled the morning dawn with their calls prior to the gobbling.

Say KY Jon, if you need some birds taken off your property PM me, I am just a few hrs up north and alway looking for a turkey to harvest.
Rick