Originally Posted By: GLS
Originally Posted By: buzz
(also, I used to think it would be impossible to miss a turkey with a shotgun until I missed one once that was on the run).

Buzz, if anyone ever tells you they've never missed a turkey you can bet they haven't shot at many. My young neighbor looked at me like I had three eyeballs when I told him I had just missed one that morning. "How could you miss a turkey??" he asked. Few days later he had a sheepish look on his face and told me he missed one that day as well. If someone has never missed a turkey, a miss is just around the corner. Gil

Gil,
I have been killing turkeys for 48 years. And have missed my share of birds. But your comment if someone has never missed it right around the core is so spot on.
A long story short, back in the 80s my father has taken a turkey every year since 1963 with no misses. Opening day, he went one way and I the other. I killed a long beard within the first 40 min of light while packing up the bird I heard my farther shot, and I thought to myself "all right"!!! Then less than a minute another shot, then another, and another. All around minute apart, now I am in a panic, I got to the car threw my gun and bird in the trunk and started heading towards my fathers location, my father shot again, and in another min again!! I was on a dead run up a mountain side thinking the worse. When I got to him he was sitting on a log with a long beard on the log with him. And in total dismay look at me and said "it was nothing he never seen before, the woods was full of long beards dumber than a box of bricks, and I missed them all! But my last shell I finally killed one" my father missed 6 birds all in less than an hour and killed the 7th long beard he called in. I know this sounds like a BS story. But I'll swear on a stack of bibles it's true! I guess all his non misss finally caught up to him. Rich

Last edited by 28 gauge shooter; 02/22/18 06:22 PM.