I'm sure it's more accurate where I taught high school (rural/small town Iowa), but there were several teachers, both places I taught, who were either vets or hunters or target shooters--or all of the above. So they had a certain amount of training and experience already. I had Iowa CC and would have been willing to carry in school. Would have worked harder on my handgun skills, as I think most would if they were to accept that responsibility.

And I've known high school counselors, both good and bad. The good ones do a great job of identifying problems. But the issue is, laws would have to be changed in order to keep the student in question from owning guns, or perhaps accessing guns owned by others in his home. Right now, the only way you can keep guns away from them is by committing them to a mental institution. If that information is reported to the FBI, then it would stop them from purchasing a gun when the background check is made. However, they could get around that by purchasing from a private seller. Hard to plug all the loopholes, and even the best counselors and the most observant parents aren't always going to catch the warning signs. There is no foolproof way to make the world 100% safe.