jOe made the comment when he got busted on his comments about anyone using optics needed to stay on the porch. He answered this with he felt it was fair to comment on something he tried. I had forgotten that on May 14, 2013 in post #324770 that I offered to send him at my expense to his FFL carrier both my .410 and 20 gauge single shots with loaded ammo for him to use as he deemed fit in the fall turkey season and return them to me afterwards. Well, he didn't take me up on it, yet despite his assertions he feels free to comment on things he's tried but not otherwise, he blathers on negatively on something he hasn't tried.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=324552&page=5

May 14, 2013 #324770

jOe,
With over 250 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with the below 20 or 125 pellets in a .410 at 40 yards, it would be the cumulative effect of more than 1 pellet killing a turkey with a well-placed shot. And yes, .6 grains in a small pellet that does not deform as lead does makes the difference. Note that I weighed and measured 8s, not 9s. Ill have to scrounge up some lead 9s to make that comparison. It has been demonstrated by both gel tests and KPY ballistics software (sold by numerous sources) that 9 tungsten super shot penetrates 1.62 at 62 yards, slightly better than lead 4s at the same distance and velocity. I have read reports of large leg bones being shattered by the tungsten 9s. A buddy has killed 17 gobblers without a miss or wounded bird with the .410 load of tss 9s. The .410 load of 13/16 oz. contains 310 tungsten 9s. To get that shot count with lead 4s in a 12 gauge requires 2 oz. My .410 weighs 3 lbs, 9 oz. rigged out. My SBE rigged-out weighs over 8 lbs and Im selling it. I prefer carrying the lighter gun which has proven lethality on turkeys. You might get by with a bead on a shotgun, but my 65 year-old eyeballs cant, but I am no porch or decoy sitter nor do I hunt turkeys from a blind over feed plots. At my expense I will send either gun below with shells to your local FFL. Hunt one or the other on fall turkeys. I wont need them at that time. You say you dont criticize without trying something first. Now is your chance to do both. The 5 7/8 lb. 20 gauge cost $91 NIB and the 3 lb., 9 oz. .410 cost $129 NIB last summer. Far from perfect turkey guns with only one shot, not fancy for sure, but with crisp, light triggers and well-choked for the shot used. And I will try not to catch on fire so you dont have to make a split second decision whether or not to pee on my leg. wink Return them at the end of your fall season. You game?